Thursday, February 2, 2012

DSL or A Journey Into Customer Service Hell

Lately I decided to sign up for a full year contract with my DSL provider.  Before I wasn’t sure if I even wanted DSL, so for the last two years I’ve been paying month to month about $25.00 fees included.  Now that I was ready to sign up for a full year I hoped to save about six dollars a month on my bill because that’s the best deal they have to offer to new subscribers and I’m better than a new subscriber, right?  I’ve been with them three years and I’ve paid my bill on time without fail.  Can the same be said of a new subscriber?  Frankly I deserved a better deal.

I set it up to begin negotiations at the end of January.  If talks break down then I have the full month of February to make new arrangements.  I started it off last week with a phone call to Customer Service/Sales.  At Level One I know I’m not getting any breaks here; no one at Level One has the authority to cut a deal or even negotiate.  I don’t immediately ask to be transferred to a supervisor or to their retention department.  Let’s give them a chance to impress me by hearing what the standard company offer is.

When I tell the rep I intend to sign a one year contract I can immediately sense her voice pick up.  She’s looking at a sale and possibly a commission.  The rep reads off the offer to me and it’s $22.00 fees included.  It’s so close to what I want.  I tell the rep I need just a little more off the top.  Maybe the rep can call a supervisor or someone else to get the deal set up.  I know I’m asking a lot from someone like that, but you never know.  Turns out the rep can’t make any deals and the rep won’t try to make any other deal.  The best I get from the rep is “I’m sorry but a supervisor isn’t available to speak with you right now.  Would you like one to call you?”  It’s better than nothing so I set an appointment for this week to take a call from a supervisor.  I try to put it out of my mind but over the weekend I get an email from the company documenting the call.

The next week rolls around and I’m waiting for a call that never comes.  I’m downtown doing Jury Duty, so I can’t make a call that day.  I make a call the day after and everything starts off according to script.  I tell the rep what I want.  The rep tells me what the rep told me last week.  I ask for a supervisor.  I get the “I’m sorry but a supervisor isn’t available to speak with you right now.  Would you like one to call you?”  I insist to be put on hold to wait for a supervisor, and that’s when things get strange.  

I’m thinking I’m on hold, so know I can do other things while waiting for someone to pick up on their end.  I start up a Code Academy lesson and start learning how to code Javascript.  Just as soon as I get started on a lesson, someone picks up the line.  Whoever it is doesn’t say anything; it’s like they’re checking to make sure I’m still on hold.  The first few times this happens I ignore it, but then I realize if I keep ignoring it they’re going to assume that I’m not on the line anymore and hang up on me.  So I’m still trying to work on a lesson and every so often I’m screaming “Hello?” into the speakerphone.  No one is responding; the scene is starting to get pretty absurd.

I pretty sure now that they’re doing this to me because of all that apps that circumvent Customer Service Hell.  Specifically the app that calls you when Customer Service picks up.  I imagine some petty bureaucrat talking to another petty bureaucrat coming up with this very strategy to circumvent the circumvention methods consumers can use.  After about ten minutes I just start talking and telling them about how unhappy this is making me.  Eventually they hear me and a Level One comes back on the line.  I tell them to stop doing whatever the hell it is they’re doing and to just leave me on hold until a supervisor is ready to take my call.  I make it very clear that I won’t be going anywhere until I can talk to a supervisor, and none of these tricks will stop me.

At least now I won’t look like an idiot screaming into a speakerphone every other minute.  I’ll look like an idiot because I talk to the supervisor who proceeds to tell me that their offer is their final offer.  They won’t even negotiate with me, but they will make a few token attempts to make me feel better about the situation without actually doing anything about it.  Now I’m starting to show my temper a little bit.  Before I can get real steamed I just set my DSL to be canceled at the end of the month; with luck someone from the company will get a clue and get back to me before I jump ship to another service.

Join me next week when I explore my options with ATT et al.

No comments:

Post a Comment