Saturday, February 4, 2012

ScarsBlockDraft4322 or SOMDraft 020212

  Pack 1 pick 1:

I have a couple of choices here.  If I want to stay open I take the Vault Skirge, but it's not good enough to take first pick.  I can take Suture Priest and try for an aggro white strategy.  I opt for Master Splicer because of all the white cards it's the best card in a vacuum. 
My Pick:


  Pack 1 pick 2:

Lots of choices here and they're all white or sort of white.  Blinding Souleater is a reasonable first pick, but I opt for the Shrine of Loyal Legions because it's strickly more powerful.  If I'm lucky I table the Apostle's Blessing and I'm in some sort of aggro white archetype.
 My Pick:


  Pack 1 pick 3:

No white here, it's disappointing.  I note the Blighted Agent, but the last time I tried for a blue infect deck it was a train wreck.  I take Spire Monitor over Beast Within because it's a reasonable creature as opposed to a mediocre piece of removal.  Blue seems a more reasonable fit than green because I can try for a traditional U/W flyers archetype.  You can't go wrong with what's always worked.
My Pick:


  Pack 1 pick 4:

 I opt for a flyer instead of a conditional removal card.
My Pick:


  Pack 1 pick 5:

Here I have to make a choice!  What do I want these cards to do.  I can take Pristine Talisman and hope to play some sort of control archetype or I can take the Suture Priest and go aggro white.  I go aggro; I yearn for that Vapor Snag.  It's the sort of card that a white aggro deck can really use to great effect to gain tempo.
 My Pick:


  Pack 1 pick 6:

Nothing much in the pack for me here, I take the Wellspring because I want to signal to my left.  With luck they will go black and I'll be hooked up in pack two and three. 
My Pick:


  Pack 1 pick 7:

Blue infect!  Oh my, I almost wish I had gone that route, but it's too late to switch into that archetype.  Besides I've got two perfect reasonable choices in Shattered Angel and Sensor Splice.  I take the angel because it flies.
My Pick:


  Pack 1 pick 8:

Another blue flyer...move along.  Nothing more to see here.
My Pick:


  Pack 1 pick 9:

I take the Cathedral Membrane looking to stall the ground and win the game with flyers.  Alternatively I could take Gitaxian Probe; it's a cheap spell that thins the size of my deck or I can splash for Maul Splicer as a finisher. 
My Pick:


  Pack 1 pick 10:

I gratefully take the Vapor Snag and hope I can get a Quicksilver Geyser in pack 2.
My Pick:


  Pack 1 pick 11:

Nothing much left to report in the rest of this pack.  Here I take the Gitaxian Probe because there is a non-zero chance it will make my main board.  I due note the late Ichor Explosion.  Some sort of black control deck may be open in this seat. 
My Pick:


  Pack 1 pick 12:

  My Pick:


  Pack 1 pick 13:

  My Pick:


  Pack 1 pick 14:

  My Pick:


  Pack 1 pick 15:

  My Pick:


  Pack 2 pick 1:

I don't open the bomb that I deserve but Veldaken Anatomist can take over the game.  I hope to wheel the Gust-Skimmer but more likely I 'll get the Mirran Spy or some random red card. 
My Pick:


  Pack 2 pick 2:

This pack is far too thin for my taste.  I take the Priests of Norn because it holds the ground very well for its cost.  I start to worry about what's going on.
My Pick:


  Pack 2 pick 3:

I finally get another pick.  I take the flyer and hope to get Treasure Mage or Gore Vassal back.  It would be great but it'll be better than nothing.
My Pick:


  Pack 2 pick 4:

Here I think I just should have taken removal or perhaps Fangren Marauder.  Instead I take a stolid card in Peace Strider.  It usually won't have the biggest impact on the board, but I'm never embarrassed to be seen casting it.
My Pick:


  Pack 2 pick 5:


Another swing and miss, but I get Steel Sabotage.  The other alternatives are much better.  Rusted Slasher doesn't fit my cards or my theme well and Choking Fumes is a control card that my deck will likely have no use for.
My Pick:


  Pack 2 pick 6:


I get a Myr Sire, but that Morbid Plunder peaks my interest.
My Pick:


  Pack 2 pick 7:


Here I take the wrong card again.  I should have taken Peace Strider or splashed for Fangren Marauder.  Instead I take an incredibly speculative card like Treasure Mage.  Maybe I open a Wurmcoil Engine in pack 3.
My Pick:


  Pack 2 pick 8:


I could have had three Marauders?  That would have been sweet, but I just take the flyer and be glad for it.
My Pick:


  Pack 2 pick 9:


The rest of the pack is pretty irrelevant.  I get a Mirran Spy that won't make my main.  I do get that Gore Vassal back, it's a small bit of removal or it's a really bad combat trick.
My Pick:


  Pack 2 pick 10:

  My Pick:


  Pack 2 pick 11:

  My Pick:


  Pack 2 pick 12:

  My Pick:


  Pack 2 pick 13:

  My Pick:


  Pack 2 pick 14:

  My Pick:


  Pack 2 pick 15:

  My Pick:


  Pack 3 pick 1:

My cards tell me that ramp is good for me so I take an early Silver Myr out of a weak pack for me.  I hope to find a match Gold Myr.  Sexy Skinrender and Slice in Twain make me wish I had just gone G/B or something.
My Pick:


  Pack 3 pick 2:

Between a flyer and my Gold Myr, I choose flyer.  This pick could go either way. 
My Pick:


  Pack 3 pick 3:


I take the Revoke Existence; it ends up being one of a few of my pieces of artifact removal.  That Darkslick Drake looks so tempting, but I need this revoke or I'll be stone cold dead to any number of artifact bombs.
My Pick:


  Pack 3 pick 4:


My deck can't take complete advantage of Glimmerpoint Stag, but if all it does is remove a blocker and allow my to get damage through I'll be happy for it.
My Pick:


  Pack 3 pick 5:


I think about hating or splashing the Shatter, but I take the Wall of Tanglecord that might come out of the board against any fast aggro deck.
My Pick:


  Pack 3 pick 6:

I'm torn between the Glint Hawk Idol, a fast flyer, and Sky-Eel School, a flyer that can finish games.  I take the two drop over a redundant five drop.   
My Pick:


  Pack 3 pick 7:


Here we go a tempo card that stalls the ground and let's my flyers race effectively.
My Pick:


  Pack 3 pick 8:

See above. 
My Pick:


  Pack 3 pick 9:


I'm not too sure about this pick but if I need an out Stoic Rebuttal will always work for me.
My Pick:


  Pack 3 pick 10:


Bonds of Quicksilver out of the sideboard means I won't have to die to random big fatties that I can't race.
My Pick:


  Pack 3 pick 11:


The last of these picks I hate dinosaurs and take this spellbomb.
My Pick:


  Pack 3 pick 12:

  My Pick:


  Pack 3 pick 13:

  My Pick:


  Pack 3 pick 14:

  My Pick:


  Pack 3 pick 15:

  My Pick:


This draft converter created by Benjamin Peebles-Mundy.
Visit the draft converter today!

I end up playing this:
2 Impaler Shrike
1 Kemba's Skyguard
1 Steel Sabotage
1 Leonin Skyhunter
1 Spire Monitor
2 Neurok Replica
9 Plains
1 Glint Hawk Idol
1 Glimmerpoint Stag
1 Vapor Snag
1 Vedalken Anatomist
1 Silver Myr
1 Gore Vassal
8 Island
1 Suture Priest
1 Revoke Existence
1 Stoic Rebuttal
1 Master Splicer
1 Shrine of Loyal Legions
1 Peace Strider
1 Shattered Angel
1 Serum Raker
1 Gitaxian Probe

Sideboard
1 Myr Sire
1 Priests of Norn
1 Wall of Tanglecord
1 Cathedral Membrane
1 Alpha Tyrranax
1 Island
1 Hexplate Golem
1 Bonds of Quicksilver
1 Flight Spellbomb
2 Gnathosaur
1 Forest
1 Mycosynth Wellspring
1 War Report
1 Forest
1 Argent Mutation
1 Treasure Mage
1 Ichor Explosion
1 Flameborn Hellion
1 Screeching Silcaw
1 Mirran Spy
1 Turn the Tide

My plans are simple hold the ground and win in the air.  Against decks with low artifact counts I'll board out my removal and run either the Treasure Mage package against control decks or some combination of Bonds of Quicksilver, Cathedral Membrane, Priests of Norn, Myr Sire, and Wall of Tanglecord against Aggro and MidRange decktypes.

Round 1
I take this round playing against a slow deck that can't seem to put up much resistance despite a slow start on my part.

Round 2
Against a grinder I believe is double queueing I stay patient and let my cards stall the board and grind away in the air.  In game 2 I open a control hand and proceed to take said control hand and shove it down my opponents throat.  Anatomist backed by Replica supporting an inevitable Shrine of Loyal Legions for lots means I win.

Round 3
I am definitely outclassed by my opponent's removal.  I shouldn't win but I do anyway because he can't draw any removal to buy time and I draw flyer after flyer.  One of the key positions in this round occurs in game one where I use a Glimmerpoint Stag to remove a blocker and swing for five with a Master Splicer.  My opponent questions the line, perhaps he is correct.  Still I find that swinging for exactly lethal turns later or so rationalizes my line.

No comments:

Post a Comment